*This plan is taken from “The Gospel Project for Kids” curriculum
Unit 19: Session 1–From Abraham to Jesus
Bible passage: Matthew 1: 1-17
Main point: Jesus’ earthly family included Abraham, David, and others
Key passage (Memory passage for the unit): 1 Timothy 1:15 “Here is a saying that you can trust. It should be accepted completely. Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. And I am the worst sinner of all.”
Big picture question: What makes Jesus different? Jesus is fully God and fully man.
Session starter activity:
Make a family tree as far back as great-grandparents. Here’s a template you can print if this helps. https://freefamilytreetemplates.com/blank-family-tree-template/
Say: Isn’t it wonderful that God has given us families? Family members love each other and care for one another. Jesus is God’s Son, but did you know that when Jesus came to earth as a baby, God gave Him a family on earth? Jesus had brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and more! Today we are going to hear a story from the Bible about Jesus’ family and why they were so important.
Big picture question and Bible Timeline:
Our Bible story is the first we are going to hear from the New Testament. In previous months you have learned in the Old Testament about the promise God made to send a Rescuer and the wonderful ways God was preparing the world for His arrival. Today, we will be remembering the people God used as part of Jesus’ lineage, or family line. All of the stories from the Old Testament fit together to tell one big story—the story of how God sent Jesus to rescue people from sin.
The story today will teach us a lot about who Jesus is and what He has done. When you hear the story today, listen carefully to see if you can find the answer to our big picture question: What makes Jesus different?
Tell the Bible Story: Read Matthew 1: 1-17. **Try to have the kids find the passage on their own. If they have trouble, remind them that Matthew is the first book in the New Testament. It is one of the four Gospels.
- Did any of the names of people in Jesus’ family sound familiar?
- Do you remember Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?
- What about Ruth, Boaz and their son Obed?
Today’s Bible story tells us that Jesus came from a family of kings! King David and his son Solomon were part of Jesus’ family on earth.
Our story shows that God kept his promises. Do you remember all the promises God made in the Old Testament about the Messiah?
- God promised Abraham that someone would come from his family who would bless the whole world!
- He promised King David that a king would come from his family who would rule forever.
- The prophet Isaiah said the Messiah would be born of a virgin.
Jesus made these promises come true! Jesus came to earth as a baby in Bethlehem. Jesus had earthly parents, Mary and Joseph, but His true Father is God. Jesus is different than Abraham, David or anyone else in His earthly family.
What makes Jesus different? Jesus is fully God and fully man.
The Bible gives us a list of names of people who were part of Jesus’ family. We know that God the Son has always existed. Before He came to earth, He was with the Father in heaven. God loved us and sent His Son to be born as a baby. In this way, God kept His promise to Abraham and David.
Did you know that you can be part of Jesus’ family? When we trust in Jesus as Lord and Savior, God forgives our sin and adopts us into His family.
Bible Review Questions:
- Who created Jesus? (God the Son has always existed, no one created Him; Hebrews 1:2)
- Who were Jesus’ parents on earth? (Mary and Joseph; Matt: 1:20-21)
- Who is Jesus’ true father? (God the Father, Luke 1:35)
- Name a king in Jesus’ family. (David, Solomon, Jehoshaphat, Uzziah, Ahaz, Hezekiah, Josiah; Matt 1:7-10)
- How is Jesus different? Jesus is fully God and fully man.
- Whom did God promise that his family would be as numerous as the stars? (Abraham; Gen 15:5)
- Whom did God promise that a king in his family would rule forever? (David; 2 Sam 7:16)
- Name a woman in Jesus’ family tree? (Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, Mary; Matt 1: 3-6, 16)
Jesus is God’s Son, but God gave Him a family on earth. Jesus’ earthly family included Abraham, David and others. Over hundreds of years, generation after generation, God had been working out His plan to send Jesus into the world. No one else who was ever born was like Jesus! What makes Jesus different? He is fully God and fully man. And He came to save people from their sin!
Key verse review:
Have the kids write the key passage on a notecard or paper and hang it up somewhere to work on through the month.
1 Timothy 1:15
Here is a saying that you can trust. It should be accepted completely. Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. And I am the worst sinner of all.
Spend some time praying as a family.
Here’s a free coloring page the kids can print out if they would like: https://media.ldscdn.org/images/media-library/primary/primary-symbols/gospel-topics/nativity-coloring-page-774812-print.jpg